July 23 - August 12, 2018 (Tentative--Exact dates TBA)
This program is available to current 10th and 11th graders.
Sixteen current high school tenth and eleventh graders from Michigan and Japan will join together for a rigorous nuclear science and peace education cultural exchange featuring 10 days at MSU and surrounding areas, followed by 10 days in Japan. The program will be a unique blend of science and the humanities as Japanese and American students explore nuclear science, policy, and history. Students, with guidance from MSU faculty, will work together to create museum exhibits to be featured in Michigan and Japanese museums. Through this exchange program, the Asian Studies Center and its partners hope to cultivate future scientists and leaders who are innovative, ethically responsible, culturally aware, and committed to building bridges of friendship and mutual understanding between the U.S. and Japan. br>
This program is generously funded by the United States-Japan Foundation and the Asian Studies Center at Michigan State University.
Total Student Costs:
- $600 toward airfare to Japan
- $100 application fee if student advances to Phase 2 of the selection process
2018 Important Dates:
- Phase 1: Applications must be received by February 12, 2018
- Phase 2: Selected applicants must attend an MSU campus event on March 31, 2018
- Phase 3: Finalists will be notifies in April 2018
- Dates for study tour: July 23-August 12, 2018* (tentative)
- *Please note that these dates may shift a few days earlier or later depending on plane tickets, etc.
Program details and registration
For more information: