The Tollgate Camp Teen Steward (15-19 yrs) and Tollgate Steward-in-Training (13-14 yrs) positions are for those interested in gaining experience working with campers in agriculture and natural sciences.
- Monday, April 29 - Deadline to apply for SIT and Stewards positions
- Thursday - Friday, May 2-3, 3:00-8:00 pm – Steward Interviews
- Friday - Saturday, June 21 - 22 - Stewards and Stewards-in-Training mandatory overnight training 9 am Friday - 2 pm Saturday afternoon
- Tuesday, July 9: 4 - 5:30 p.m. - Life Skills Workshop with 4-H Educator Laurie Rivetto
- Tuesday, July 23: 4:00 - 8:30 p.m. - Stewards / Stewards-in-Training Midsummer Training & Celebration
- Thursday, August 15: 4 - 5:30 pm - Life Skills Workshop with Laurie Rivetto
- Friday, August 23 4:30 - 9 p.m. - Stewards & Stewards-in-Training Camp Closing Celebration
Teen Stewards are similar to Junior Camp Counselors, working with our camp staff to lead the weekly program. Providing an experience where teens can explore potential career paths before entering college, Stewards also serve as positive mentors and role-models for Stewards-in-Training and campers. Stewards encourage campers as they experience new and exciting activities in an outdoor farm setting. Stewards build cooperation and trust among campers, model positive behavior, make campers feel welcome, and they are the “stewards” of the farm, continuing with the long legacy of preservation that keeps Tollgate a working farm today. Becoming a Steward is a privilege and requires an application process and interview. Stewards are expected to come to at least two weeks of camp.
The Steward-in-Training (SIT) position is the start of the progressive Tollgate Teen Leadership Program. SITs are half camper/half steward and are 12-14 years of age. SITs serve as leaders and role models for campers during activities. A good SIT is interested in learning about leadership, enjoys helping others, likes to get dirty, and is happy to pitch in to help at all times. Each of the SITs is scheduled to work with the camp group best suited to their age and interests. Leadership training is built into the Stewards-in-Training experience as each week SITs break away for their own activities for activities designed to build confidence, leadership strengths, teamwork, and conflict resolution skills. SITs may have the chance to try out one or more of the camp activities for the week in their own special session such as archery, canoeing, fishing, foraging, and more!
Program details and registration
For more information: